The School of Rural and Surveying Engineering (SRSE) of the Faculty of Engineering of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki first opened its doors in 1963, and it is the third, in chronological order, school of engineering of the Faculty (after the School of Civil Engineering, which was founded first, and the School of Architecture).
It is divided into three Departments, which coordinate teaching and research in a wide variety of disciplines related to rural and surveying engineering:
- Geodesy and Surveying,
- Cadastre, Photogrammetry and Cartography, and
- Transportation and Hydraulic Engineering
In 1961, the Faculty of Engineering decided to found the School of Rural and Surveying Engineering (faculty meeting on January 18th, 1961), upon a relevant recommendation (by A. Sfikas; see the minutes of the faculty meeting held on November 16th, 1960). Initially, only two Chairs were founded and the curriculum of the School was not fully developed; thus, the majority (93%) of the courses offered to students were provided by the School of Civil Engineering. Until 1970, there were only two professors appointed to the School. From 1975 to 1982, when Law no. 1268/82 was implemented, six more professors were appointed to Chairs that had already been established at the School. Pursuant to Law no. 1268/82, though, the Chairs were abolished and Departments were established instead, which were composed of all faculty members of the School.
Currently there are 37 faculty members who teach the majority (more than 90%) of the courses offered at the School. Only few courses are taught by faculty members appointed to other Schools of the Aristotle University.
Rural and Surveying Engineering is a broad, multidisciplinary field of geosciences and applied engineering, encompassing aspects of geodesy, surveying, cadastre, photogrammetry, cartography, transportation and hydraulics. The curriculum of the School of Rural and Surveying Engineering provides core and elective courses directly related to the above fields of study that its Departments cover, and every five years it is reorganized to meet the increasing needs in the constantly changing fields of rural and surveying engineering, and keep pace with advances in relevant technology.
The School of Rural and Surveying Engineering is housed on the last four floors of the Surveying Engineering building of the Faculty of Engineering. Its laboratories, storerooms, control rooms, and research and teaching rooms are located in the basement, as well as on the ground floor of the wing of the building. Its lecture halls, the amphitheater, and the offices of its student union are located on the third floor.